Plaits, braids… whatever you want to call them, I think they’re ‘heading’ (pun intended) towards being an absolute must for helping you score the most beautiful bridal hair. No more reserved just for Boho brides, I love them woven into classic chignons, threaded with flowers and immersed within an up/down do or cascading over one shoulder, mermaid stylee. My favourite place for Best in Braid inspo is www.elstile.com. Take a look at my top ten picks….
1. A chunky plait keeps your hair off your face. Woven into loosely caught up tumbling curls looks carefree and classic. Gotta be close to the top of your trial wish list!
2. Chignons are ever elegant and timeless. Adding extra interest with the plaited front looks romantic and will frame your face beautifully. Officially head-over-heels about the flower crown too.
3 This is dream wedding hair for me. A ponytail gets my two thumbs up. I love the added height on top, the curly length and of course, the thin ‘Alice band’ braid. It’s like wearing an accessory without the bling.
4. I love how the top has been really loosely plaited and the length has been rolled and pinned in a bun shape underneath it. It’s reminiscent of old Hollywood glamour and would look perfect against almost any wedding dress style.
5. Okay, so there are a lot of hair extensions going on here. But that’s how a lot of brides (myself included) score the volume they crave. I love how the little plaits create interest, as well as shape and help hold the style in place.
6. Many brides (especially summer ones) love a mermaid braid. It screams laid-back chic and looks fabulous with higher neck or Grecian-goddess-style gowns. I love how it’s kept quite loose on top.
7. I call this an undone up do. It’s been French-plaited across the front, teased apart then brushed into a low ponytail with the rest of the length that’s then loosely pinned up. The perfect finishing touch? A delicate diamante hair vine.
8. A photo-friendly alternative to a traditional side do. For a romantic trip down the aisle, a soft plait through the front and one side meets a curly side pony. Imagine little flowers eased into the plait. Best tressed bride alert!
9. A lesson in how one woven-in braid can oomph up the look of a regular up do. Add some bling for posh girl preening at its best.
10. Tumbling curls look far more covetable when a chunky plait across the crown is added. Love, love, love the flower accessory too.
Elstile.com is a Los Angeles-based hair and make-up agency who have made over 25,000 brides look and feel a-mazing over the last 11 years. I’ll be adding a few more galleries showcasing Elstile looks to give you inspo for your own Big Day look.
Will you be incorporating braids into your bridal do? Please tell me in the comments below…